SD is going away this weekend after what has been an a really busy work time for him. He usually does all the cooking. Today I decided that it would be nice to have some eggplant parmesan because it is very yummy and it makes for good left overs which I will need since he is leaving. So I asked him how he made it and he told me. I couldn't believe how labor intensive this thing is. All this time I took for granted how much work went into this thing. I was completely unaware of it.
First you peel the eggplant ( I used two medium sized ones and one little one) Then you slice it into about 1/4 inch slices. Salt the slices and let them sit in a colander for a few hours. Then prepare an assembly line of flour, egg batter, and bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
When that is all done heat up some all in a cast iron pan and fry all the slices until golden brown. Set aside on some paper towels.
Now you are ready to assemble:
In a shallow ovenable pan spoon a little spaghetti sauce (sd makes his own)into the bottom of the pan and begin layering your eggplant slices, mozzarella, and grated parmesan into your pan ending with a layer of sauce, mozzorella and paremesan. Bake for 45 minutes at 350.
This is what I did tonight. It took me about 4 hours. Crazy amount of labor. Super delicious meal.

5 comments:
That does look really yummy. Maybe SD should start a blog where he posts his recipes... I'm always looking out for good ones :)
Girl, you crack me up. I do most...um, pretty much all of the cooking around here. If A cooks, we're having toast, jam, and tea at every meal. haha. The other day, I wasn't feeling too well, so he offered to make some bean soup. He sounded just like you. So amazed at what all went into it. He asked if it wouldn't be easier to just open up a can of soup, instead.
Your eggplant came out fabulously, though. It's making me hungry.
I tried it and it was really delicious indeed. I would have eaten all you had left if you didn't have two kids to feed. I was so inspired by it that I actually searched for other...easier recipes. There are some, but I don't think they will be as yummy. But I will let you know.
~Marina~
what happened to blogging every day, on the real every days? ;(
All I can say is YUUUUUMMMMMMMMM !
Post a Comment